Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Dark Blue Dip Dye: Koolaid



So I read on a few blogs that if you mix Blue Raspberry Lemonade koolaid with Grape Koolaid and dye your hair with it, you'll get a more deep blue color. In fact, they called it "electric blue". Now, these blogs are pretty high ranking for this subject, but they have no real pictures of actual dye jobs. I thought I'd try it out anyway and see.

The reason I wanted to try it is because when I dye my hair with just Blue Raspberry Lemonade, I always get a greenish aqua marine color. That's fine for the first day, but then it fades into a green and it just looks kind of weird. I thought by trying the Grape/ Blue combo that I would get the deep blue that I'm trying to achieve. I was wrong. I got more of a blue/brown color as you can see.

Maybe this recipe needs some tweeking. I used one packet of each koolaid. Maybe it would be better if I used two blues and one grape? All I can do it keep trying to get a more blue color.

It's difficult since my hair is really yellow and the yellow distorts any color of koolaid that I put in it. I'm not going to bleach my hair for some temporary dye though. The damage isn't worth it. So I will find a way to make it work hopefully. In the meantime, you can benefit from my experiments.

For the next week, I'll have this reverse ombre looking hair. It doesn't look bad, just not what I was expecting. On the upside, my hair and the whole house smells like berries.

Now I can tell how really thin my ends are. Not good for someone who wants thicker longer hair. I gotta work on my hair care.

**Update: After one wash, the dip dye turned Violet color! Here is what it looks like now:


It's lighter and more purple than what the picture shows. I couldn't get the lighting right on my phone camera or my webcam.

No comments:

Post a Comment